Israel Eases Gaza Offensive as Trump Pushes Hamas Hostage Release Plan
Gaza/Israel – October 2025 — Israel slowed down its offensive in Gaza on Saturday after U.S. President Donald Trump hailed Hamas’ conditional offer to free the remaining hostages, calling it a potential breakthrough for his Middle East peace plan.
According to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office, Israel is prepared to “immediately begin the first phase of Trump’s plan for the release of all hostages.” However, specific steps were not disclosed. Trump had earlier urged Israel to stop its airstrikes, writing on social media:
“I believe they are ready for a lasting PEACE. Israel must immediately stop the bombing of Gaza, so that we can get the Hostages out safely and quickly!”
Gaza Israel War
Hamas Agrees to Partial Plan
Hamas Gaza image
On Friday, the Iran-backed group Hamas confirmed it would release the last hostages taken during its October 2023 attack, when around 1,200 Israelis were killed and 250 kidnapped. The group stopped short of accepting all 20 conditions of Trump’s peace proposal, insisting that implementation depended on “field conditions for the exchange.”
Hamas stated it would return 48 hostages — around 20 believed to be alive — but stressed that Trump’s demand for a 72-hour deadline was “impossible,” since locating the remains of dead captives could take months.
Israel’s Military Shift
An Israeli official said the army, which controls nearly 80% of the Gaza Strip, had shifted to a defensive posture. Negotiators were ready to resume peace talks, though no date or venue was announced.
Palestinian residents reported that fighting had eased but shelling continued in Gaza City, the focus of Israel’s long-running offensive. The Hamas-run health ministry claims over 66,000 Palestinians killed, while Israel has lost more than 450 soldiers.
injerd and tired Israel’s Military moving gaza to return image
The war, now in its second year, has devastated Gaza and caused a humanitarian crisis, with a UN-backed agency declaring famine in parts of the enclave.
Key Disputes in Trump’s Peace Plan
Hamas leader Musa Abu Marzouk told Al Jazeera the group is open to negotiations but will only disarm once a recognized Palestinian state exists, at which point weapons would be handed to the new authority.
He stressed that Hamas could accept only nine of Trump’s 20 points directly, while the rest require agreement from broader Palestinian factions and Arab nations.
Netanyahu faces internal resistance: far-right members of his coalition oppose halting the offensive during talks, making Trump’s demand for an immediate ceasefire politically sensitive.
Regional and Global Reactions
Regional powers welcomed Hamas’ partial agreement. Egypt and Qatar, who previously mediated between the sides, backed Trump’s plan. Qatar’s spokesman Majed Al Ansari said his government supports “rapid results that would put an end to Palestinian bloodshed.”
The Israeli shekel surged after Hamas’ announcement, with markets signaling cautious optimism.
Middle East analyst Yousef Munayyer commented: “This puts the ball back in Netanyahu’s court. Trump isn’t treating this as take-it-or-leave-it, and that changes the dynamics.”
What’s Next?
It remains unclear whether Hamas’ willingness to release hostages will be enough to persuade Israel to suspend its military campaign in Gaza. Hamas also did not respond to Trump’s idea of a global ‘Board of Peace’ chaired by him alongside figures like former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair.
For now, the future of the Israel-Hamas war, the fate of the remaining hostages, and the success of Trump’s Gaza peace plan all remain uncertain.
Key Disputes in Trump’s Peace Plan Hamas leader Musa Abu Marzouk told Al Jazeera the group is open to negotiations but will only disarm once a recognized Palestinian state exists, at which point weapons would be handed to the new authority. He stressed that Hamas could accept only nine of Trump’s 20 points directly, while the rest require agreement from broader Palestinian factions and Arab nations. Netanyahu faces internal resistance: far-right members of his coalition oppose halting the offensive during talks, making Trump’s demand for an immediate ceasefire politically sensitive. Regional and Global Reactions Regional powers welcomed Hamas’ partial agreement. Egypt and Qatar, who previously mediated between the sides, backed Trump’s plan. Qatar’s spokesman Majed Al Ansari said his government supports “rapid results that would put an end to Palestinian bloodshed.” The Israeli shekel surged after Hamas’ announcement, with markets signaling cautious optimism. Middle East analyst Yousef Munayyer commented: “This puts the ball back in Netanyahu’s court. Trump isn’t treating this as take-it-or-leave-it, and that changes the dynamics.” What’s Next? It remains unclear whether Hamas’ willingness to release hostages will be enough to persuade Israel to suspend its military campaign in Gaza. Hamas also did not respond to Trump’s idea of a global ‘Board of Peace’ chaired by him alongside figures like former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair. For now, the future of the Israel-Hamas war, the fate of the remaining hostages, and the success of Trump’s Gaza peace plan all remain uncertain.